VOLUNTEER MEDICAL ASSISTANT
Asian & Pacific Islander Wellness Center is a great place to work where people are concerned about equal access to health services, mutual respect, appreciation for diversity, and social justice. We look for candidates who share our values, and bring a willingness to contribute to our mission and openness to developing their skills.
Asian & Pacific Islander Wellness Center's mission is to educate, support, empower, and advocate for Asian and Pacific Islander (A&PI) communities — particularly A&PIs living with, or at-risk for, HIV/AIDS. We are the oldest and largest nonprofit in North America focusing on sexual health and HIV in A&PI communities. Founded in 1987 as an all-volunteer, community-based response to the AIDS crisis in communities of color, we are based in San Francisco's Tenderloin neighborhood. We operate local, regional, statewide, and national programming, and collaborate with grassroots activists throughout the Asia Pacific Region. All of our work is aligned to fight HIV-related stigma; to provide primary healthcare access to A&PIs who experience the most extreme forms of discrimination and have the least access to quality services; and to be the primary provider of transgender services for the City of San Francisco. The agency's greatest assets — our Board of Directors, staff and volunteers — reflect the talents and diversity of the communities we serve. As a cornerstone of our cultural competency, our staff speak approximately 20 languages. Our work is rooted in our core values — Client-Centeredness, Compassion, Justice, Leadership, Respect, Sex-Positivity, and Wellness— which anchor our strategic thinking, our service delivery models, our community collaborations, and our organizational culture.
Volunteer Position Description:
Volunteer Medical Assistants will be responsible for receiving and preparing patients prior to being seen by a doctor.
- Responsible for providing to the patients of the Wellness Clinic a high level of service.
- Prepare patients for examination.
- Responsible for rooming patients, records temperatures, respiration rate , blood pressure, pulse, weight, venipuncture, urinalysis as well as other information relevant to patient visits and within the scope of practice.
- Duties will also include sterilizing instruments, making appointments, assisting doctors during procedures, patient education and entering patient information into the electronic medical records.
- Maintains patient charts and records in accordance with standard practices.
- Maintains a safe, secure, and clean environment; maintains adequate supplies and equipment in assigned areas.
- Adheres to HIPAA guidelines.
- Works with the Administrator to schedule their volunteer time at the Wellness Clinic in advance.
- Be familiar with and adhere to the Wellness Clinic Policies and Procedures relevant to their tasks.
- Responsible for advising the Director of Medical Services of any change in status that would affect their ability to perform services.
- Collect preliminary patient data, including taking a patient history.
- To maintain the confidentiality of all patients and their family.
- Responsible for consulting with the Director of Medical Services as needed.
Minimum Volunteer Qualifications:
- Completion of graduation from an accredited Medical Assistant training program required or substantial training and experience.
- Experience as a medical assistant in a medical practice or clinic and/or certified in California as a Medical Assistant.
- Ability to work nights and weekends.
- Sensitivity to A&PI and LGBTQ issues.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to think analytically and creatively in order to solve problems.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and handle multiple tasks with attention to detail.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, email.
Preferred Volunteer Qualifications:
- Experience in working with A&PI and LBGTQ populations.
- Fluency in English and at least one Asian or Pacific Islander language.
- Certified HIV Rapid Test Technician.
Asian & Pacific Islander Wellness Center is an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds. Asian & Pacific Islander Wellness Center does not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability status, gender identity, HIV status, marital status, medical condition, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Back to Top